This is a very good introductory video for these specific reasons:
- Feeling of the environment in which the Anasazi lived
- Brief history
- Fantastic visuals
- Engineering and building abilities of the Anasazi
- Realistic recreations of pit houses
- Map of ancient roads into Chaco Canyon
- Signal-fire system
- Computer-generated images of Pueblo Bonito at its prime (though they left out people)
Overall, this is a very good primer for those planning to visit Chaco Canyon or Mesa Verde for the first time (or after your first time).
I normally like to cite the sources and link back to the material I post here, but the source of this particular video baffles me. It’s called “500 Nations,” but that does not seem to lead to its source. There was an eight-part mini-series documentary that aired in 1995, narrated by Kevin Costner, by the title 500 Nations. I’ve not seen that (yet), but this ten-minute clip does not seem to be from that. I mean, it doesn’t sound like Kevin Costner narrating this to me. Does it to you?